Integra participated in this congress as a Gold sponsor.
More than 700 surgeons from all over the world participated in these three days of scientific communications.
The invited countries were South Korea and Switzertland.
Integra focused on new Medic Micro power tools, Cadence, TFS2 Forefoot.
Our legacy Forefoot and Mid and Hind foot products were also displayed.
ROUND TABLE: ARTHRITIS GREAT TOE
Presentation and confrontation of techniques to treat arthritis of the great toe by 5 surgeons : J. Richie, S. Kumar,F. Krause, X. Martin Oliva, M. Maestro.
They successively presented their method, advantages and tips and tricks.
Two of them : Dr Xavier Martin Oliva (Spain), Dr Michel Maestro (Monaco) highlighted the fusion treatment withosteosynthesis and interfragmental screws from one side and hemi arthroplasty from another side to avoid a tooimportant destruction of bone and which gave better results compared to a total one.
SYMPOSIUM EFAS/KOREAN FOOT SOCIETY: Osteoarthritis (OA) of the ankle.
- Dr Valderrabano (Switzerland) presented the benefits of Total Ankle Arthroplasty.
- 1% of the population is affected by Ankle Osteoarthritis (78% of post-traumatic osteoarthritis)
- Malalignment is frequent in Ankle OA.
- 3 possible treatments : preservative, Total Ankle Replacement or Arthrodesis
- Primary Total Ankle Arthroplasty (TAA) represents 16,37% of the treatments, Revision 7,74%
- TAA is a good alternative : pain relief / better ROM
- Dr Valderrabano insisted on the advantages of the mobile bearing implants (3 components). He is a designer
- of the Exatech Vantage® total Ankle. He showed a video of a patient walking 3 days post op.
- According to him, mobile bearing reduces high peak pressure and has better biomechanics results whereas
- fix bearing has a higher joint stabilisation.
- He recommends Mobile bearing for Normal patients, Young patients and sporty patients and recommends
- Fix bearing for normal patients (also !), low demanding patients and well aligned ankles.
- He also mentionned that 15 % of failures in TAA are due to technical error ( lack of training / practice)
- He mentionned that “the violation of the anterior tibial cortex could be a cause of failure with the Salto prosthesis”
2. Markus Knupp (Switzerland) discussed the benefits of distal tibial osteotomy to treat early ankle osteoarthritis.
- He said that there is a malalignment in 60 % of cases.
- 3 possible treatments :
- Supramalleolar osteotomy
- Calcaneal osteotomy
- Medical column osteotomy
- For suppramalleolar osteotomies (SMOT), if there are large deformities or a congruent talus / tibia => he performs
- a dome shape osteotomy. If it is incongruent => he performs a wedge osteotomy.
- For fibula, he always performs a dome shape OT in order to respect the 3 bones of the ankle.
- He reccomends to not remove osteophytes on the tibia but prefers doing a plasty on the talus (shaping)
- He mentionned intraarticular OT (pilon plasty) and said that its results (and results in general) are bad.
Dr. Knupp is a keen user of Tibiaxys plates for osteotomy and will be one of our reference centers in 2019.
SYMPOSIUM : ACHILLES TENDON RUPTURE
Dr. Besse (France) presented the Achillon device and MIS surgery as the best compromise for surgical treatment of Achilles tendon ruptures, with a literature review (20 meta-studies ) showing:
- Lowest re-rupture rates : 1.6%
- Lowest infection rates regarding open surgery techniques
- Low risk of sural nerve damage : 0% to 1.3%
Workshop of industry : Cadence total ankle system “Look back on two years of experience” by Dr B. Devos Bevernage( Belgium) with 26 surgeons attended the meeting .